Amazing books you have read

Go down

Amazing books you have read

Post  Wynn on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Post some books you'd recommend to other peeps Very Happy

Life of Pi ~ Yann Martell
Molitor Patel, an Indian boy from Pondicherry, explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck, while stranded on a boat in the Pacific Ocean.
~some really strange stuff happens in this book

Good Omens ~ Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
a comedy concerning the birth of the son of Satan, the coming of the End Times and the attempts of the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley to avert them, having become accustomed to their comfortable situations in the human world. A subplot features the gathering of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse—War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin), and Death—the last of whom is characterised in a manner reminiscent of the personification of Death in Pratchett's Discworld novels and calls himself Azrael before his final exit.
~a really funny and enjoyable story with plenty twists

Tales of the Otori (5 books) ~ Lian Hearn
set in a fictional world based on feudal Japan
~could of been better written but a great story never the less

so yeah, let's hear it Very Happy[b]

Back to top Go down

Re: Amazing books you have read

Post  Darek on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:36 am

Wheel of Time-series by Robert Jordan.

The series is Huge, translated to Finnish it has more than 20 books. I still haven't read all of them. Razz Plus, the last one isn't even written yet, since dear mr. Jordan passed away. Sad His work is now being finished by Brandon Sanderson.

I recommend to everyone, check it out.

Originally planned as a six-book series, it now consists of eleven published novels, with one more book to come, which will be published in three volumes. There is also a prequel novel and a companion book available.

The series draws on elements of European and Asian mythology, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Hinduism and Buddhism and the concepts of balance, duality and a respect for nature found in Daoism. It was also partly inspired by Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace.

The Wheel of Time is notable for its length, its detailed imaginary world, its well-developed magic system and a large cast of characters.

At the dawn of time, a deity known as the Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time, which spins the lives of men and women as its threads. The Wheel has seven spokes, each representing an age, and it is rotated by the One Power, which flows from the True Source. The One Power is divided into male and female halves, saidin and saidar, which work in opposition and in unison to drive the Wheel. Those humans who can use this power are known as channelers; the principal organization of such channelers in the books is called the Aes Sedai or 'Servants of All' in the Old Tongue...

Darek Enromedes [TGC]
Admin and the leader of Chariot

Back to top Go down

Post  Dpak on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:37 am

Tales of the otori, life of Pi and wheel of time series look really good.

the only books I've read so far is Harry Potter which I really enjoyed, couldn't put that book down.

and I read twilight a long time ago when my friend knew about it, decided i'd read it cuz she went absoloutly insane about it. Wasn't the best book in my opinion but the it's got a good writer.

And the twilight film fails.

Just trying to find more books to read myself so might try them three that you guys love Smile
If I can find em and they're cheap.

EDIT: rawr, bought Life of Pi, really interesting me that book. and looked at stuff of Wheel of Time but doesn't look that interesting over what some reviews have said, so won't buy that. anddddd Tales of the Otori I may get in some time. <3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennifer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 am

Every Harry Potter books are amasing <3
I like twilight too. But i've read one book serie called "The story about the icepeople". It's a book from the north so i don't think you've read it o;. uhm. And yeah that's the books i love :3

Back to top Go down

Post  Fruit Basket on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

twilight series <333
Ballet Shoes
Georgia Nicholson series :DDD
The Merrybegot (u probs won't know datio)

errrr, can't remember any others Surprised
Fruit Basket

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum